Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

12.8cm Sf. L/61 Pz.Sf.V Sturer Emil

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

12.8cm Sf. L/61 Pz.Sf.V Sturer Emil

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 09:09 AM
lposter

Received 152 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 12.8cm Sf. L/61 Pz.Sf.V Sturer Emil

I have been getting a bit bored grinding through a fair few Soviet tanks which I like...but they get a bit "samey" after a while.

So I thought I would push the boat out and see if I could do something different for a change.

Ive always had a thing for Dicker Max but I have no idea how one would go about the suspension and it also has some nasty louvres so I plumped for the next best thing which is Sturer Emil.

I could go the easy route and just do one with the tarpaulin over the top but I decided I would see if I could do the open topped version.

This is going to be woefully slow as there is a whole lot of ridiculously fiddly bits and I am not even sure it can be done given the fact that the gun compartment penetrates deep down into the hull making suspension systems a bit cramped.

Either way, I bought the 1/35 Trumpeter kit and started measuring and multipling. I did not realise how small 1/32 kits are in real life.

I started on the swing arms and just made them from brass and bits of steel rod iinside bits of steel tube and whole lot of silver solder.

A lot of filing and grinding and I got there in the end. My plan is to use Panther road wheels ..... 100% not correct in terms of the "teeth" on the track but they actually do not look a million miles from the pictures I could find and they will fit some tracks I have.

Then I jumped in the deep end and started on the back end of the gun assembly. There is a lot to do on this and small bits but I roughed out the breech and some of the mount from lumps of aluminium and brass and steel and kind of stuck it all together. Lot more to do with this bit.

Cannot promise regular or speedy updates on this but as I get things I will post them.

p
The following 3 users liked this post by lposter:
Conan_the_Hungarian (10-06-2023), Hackworth (10-07-2023), tankme (10-05-2023)
Old 10-05-2023, 10:05 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is incredibly nice work!
Old 10-05-2023, 11:20 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll watch this creation very close.

The Sturer Emil was one of my favorite German vehicles to build back when all I did was 1/35th scale.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:02 AM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Gun looks fantastic. One small bit at a time. Excellent project.
Bob
Old 11-07-2023, 12:52 AM
JeeSib

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great, it is an impressive machine.

Did you find my pictures from Kubinka:
The following users liked this post:
tankme (11-07-2023)
Old 02-12-2024, 08:39 AM
lposter

I thought I better show a sign of life on this build so here is a short, if not entirely interesting, update.

This model has a huge amount of surfaces and that meant a lot of measuring and laying out on sheet and then chain drilling, filing and hand fitting.

I also did some work on my motors...they just fit between the two suspension rails and I still need a mount for them.

Some of the bits were really annoying - such as the weird rack thing that th egun is going to sit on....this has at least twenty individual plates and putting it together was horrible.

Then the hull started to go together. There are so many angles and so many weird joins that it was a real hassle. But the skeleton of it is in place.

Looks horrific at th eminute but thats just the way of it....

P
The following 2 users liked this post by lposter:
Hackworth (02-17-2024), tankme (02-12-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 12:24 PM
tankme

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Coming along nicely. Let me know how those motors work for you. I've been waiting to get some I ordered in the mail for quite some time now. I have some custom tank projects they are slated for.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:50 PM
lposter

The motors I took from some drills....but the gearboxes I got off alix and they really are handy. Easy to fit, come with a pinion, full set of drawings and cost very little. Have used them before and pretty happy. All steel gears exceptvthe pinion which is brass I think?

P
tankme (02-12-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:33 AM
lposter

Ive been quiet on this one but progress has been made…mostly on the interior bits.

Slowly but surely I was putting together all the features which involved work I had sorely underestimated.

Even those stupid wooden (brass) slats on the base board took literally weeks…filing each one to the right length ans angle. I managed to get hold of many of the things like grenades and MP40s in metal but a lot of stuff I had to make.

Those damned shells nearly killed me and they still dont look OK.

Everything needs fixing and smoothing out.

The hull looks like I dragged it from a swamp…the surface rust is winning the battle.

I still have to do a radio, the optics and so on. The gun mantlet needed more trigonometry than I remember learning at school…

All I can do is push on and look forward to getting paint on this…

P

tankme (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:25 AM
Max-U52

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow, absolutely fantastic work. I don't think I'll ever have your skills, but you have given me inspiration to try and convert a 1/6 scale panzer 4 into a nashhorn. Can't wait to see video of your tank in action.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Elwarpo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Amazing work!
Old 05-10-2024, 09:11 AM
lposter

Started roughing out the cannon today and its really puts everything in perspective....... its huge. And my measurements are correct.

Its in a total of four parts - the breech, the mantlet and its tube, the bit in front of that and then the barrel.

They are all held together with a length of M5 studding. This is necessary as the mantlet needs to be removeable to get the casemate off.

Lot of detailing and stuff to do but the cannon is in the home stretch...

p