Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum Programmer win11 "core isolation" Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 12:57 PM
Moon Pie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spektrum Programmer win11 "core isolation" Issues

I OFFER THIS THREAD FOR INFORMATION ONLY. PERFORM THESE ACTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I ASSUME NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER.
THIS SUGGESTED FILE WORKED FOR ME, BUT I HAVE NO WAY OF BEING CERTAIN IT WILL WORK FOR YOU.

If this has been covered before, my apologies
When I downloaded the Spektrum Programmer into my shiny new windows 11 computer, I got a message that the supplied
driver would not be loaded due to "core isolation", and I had to disable "core isolation" in order for the driver to load and run.
(You can find the "core isolation" settings in device security)
I was not comfortable having to disable a safety feature in win11, so I started searching for a solution.
The supplied "Horizon Hobbies" driver is an FTDI driver, so I went to the FTDI website and downloaded their latest driver package.
It comes in a zipped format. After unzipping it, I was presented with an "application" file to install.
I swallowed hard and installed it.
I wish I could say that it took care of the problem immediately, however more work was required.
I went to device manager and located the "AS3X" that was highlighted yellow (need's attention) it should be located in the USB devices.
I opened that line and click on update driver. Then I select "browse my computer for drivers"
Next, I clicked on "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
I had to unclick "show compatible hardware" switch. as it was already enabled on my computer. (it's a little box above the list)
Next, I scrolled down to "FTDI" and select it.
I selected FT4222 Interface A (it was the first choice on my list).
When I clicked on "next", I got an "incompatible driver" warning, I answered "YES"
That driver loaded, and after a restart of my computer, my Spektrum Programmer worked properly,
and I was able to turn the "core isolation" back on.
REMEMBER, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I ASSUME NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:32 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the information. I only have one computer (out of three) in my home office running Windows 11. Main one used Win10, another Win7.

Microsoft, in cooperation with some software developers, love to kill other software on your system during updates. The key here is not allow Microsoft to automatically update any version of Windows. System settings allows you to be notified of pending updates so you can set a Restore Point prior to updating, thus allowing a roll back if updates muck up some of your software. I have done this several times until finding a work around as you did. By the way, the Spektrum Programmer runs flawlessly on the Win7 machine.

Best example of this 'cooperation' is when using Adobe Products. I have used Adobe's Graphics Suites for years during my Desktop Publishing business. To maintain productivity as new versions became available every couple of years, purchasing the next suite version entailed spending $600 and up every time for a packaged licensed version.

Then Adobe changes to online subscriptions, no more packaged software. So, after spending $1200 on the last packaged version several years ago, Windows updates has periodically rendered some parts of the suite totally inoperable. Yep, now you have to go the subscription route to use it online.

So, set Windows update notifications to give time to set a Restore Point prior to updating. Save the headache of software being rendered obsolete.

I will apply your solution to my Win11 machine.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:22 AM
wolff2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moon pie... Thanks! It worked for me. Of course now I have to remove the Driver in order to turn core isolation back on.
This is just another reason I am migrating away from Spectrum. I will never buy another spectrum product again.
Old 12-17-2023, 10:52 AM
Moon Pie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, my computer allows the "Core Protection" to be enabled when I use that FTDI driver.
I can understand your frustration with Spektrum, but be aware, this issue is not unique to Spektrum.
Any programming adaptor (Dongle) that uses either the FTDI or Prolific chip seem to have driver issues in Windows. The programming dongle for my Baofeng
HT had to have the driver replaced for it to work properly also. The Prolific chip that they use has been around a LONG TIME,
and support for it is dwindling.
I informed Spektrum about the proper FTDI driver, but they showed little interest in my response as they are now married to the "foreword programming" scheme.

Last edited by Moon Pie; 12-17-2023 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-18-2023, 05:26 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Moon Pie
I informed Spektrum about the proper FTDI driver, but they showed little interest in my response as they are now married to the "foreword programming" scheme.
Au contraire! Lack of an immediate change has NOTHING to do with interest nor with marriage. It has everything to do with their being a simple, effective work-around and higher priority projects.

We are fully committed to constantly improving the Programmer product, as it is a core essential for updating receivers (to which we are also highly committed) and some low-end transmitters.

Take a look at the newest download.

Andy
Old 03-25-2024, 07:22 AM
bigbird007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question windows 11

Does that mean the programmer (3.8) will work on windows 11?
Old 03-25-2024, 09:53 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, you just need to tell Win11 to allow the driver to load.

Andy
Old 05-09-2024, 12:51 PM
Focus
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Moon Pie
I OFFER THIS THREAD FOR INFORMATION ONLY. PERFORM THESE ACTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I ASSUME NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER.
THIS SUGGESTED FILE WORKED FOR ME, BUT I HAVE NO WAY OF BEING CERTAIN IT WILL WORK FOR YOU.

If this has been covered before, my apologies
When I downloaded the Spektrum Programmer into my shiny new windows 11 computer, I got a message that the supplied
driver would not be loaded due to "core isolation", and I had to disable "core isolation" in order for the driver to load and run.
(You can find the "core isolation" settings in device security)
I was not comfortable having to disable a safety feature in win11, so I started searching for a solution.
The supplied "Horizon Hobbies" driver is an FTDI driver, so I went to the FTDI website and downloaded their latest driver package.
It comes in a zipped format. After unzipping it, I was presented with an "application" file to install.
I swallowed hard and installed it.
I wish I could say that it took care of the problem immediately, however more work was required.
I went to device manager and located the "AS3X" that was highlighted yellow (need's attention) it should be located in the USB devices.
I opened that line and click on update driver. Then I select "browse my computer for drivers"
Next, I clicked on "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
I had to unclick "show compatible hardware" switch. as it was already enabled on my computer. (it's a little box above the list)
Next, I scrolled down to "FTDI" and select it.
I selected FT4222 Interface A (it was the first choice on my list).
When I clicked on "next", I got an "incompatible driver" warning, I answered "YES"
That driver loaded, and after a restart of my computer, my Spektrum Programmer worked properly,
and I was able to turn the "core isolation" back on.
REMEMBER, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I ASSUME NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER.
Could you tell us which driver package to download. I see on FTDI's website they have VCP drivers, D2XX drivers and D3XX drivers.
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM
curtishannay

They should be interested since you have to be able to register the new receivers and and update the firmware.