Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Any fastbut reasiable electris setups for a strike 40

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Any fastbut reasiable electris setups for a strike 40

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 02:22 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Any fastbut reasiable electris setups for a strike 40

Have one I'd like to build and wondered if somebody could recommend a setup. Not looking to set speed records..Just fast enough to get in trouble
Old 03-23-2024, 02:28 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish I could edit the thread title...not sure how I messed it up so bad.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:51 PM
Del2h1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m building a Shrike 40 from plans right now. I’m guessing on the motor setup, but I have a Cobra 3515/12 that I’ve installed. I planned on having a motor turn a small prop fast. But I think it may be too much. Plus, my prop 7x6 prop seems waaaay too small. I was trying to emulate the flex piraña with its 1200kv motor and 6.5x6.5 prop. Innov8tive also has a special line of motors for the fast flying wings. But I didn’t see those until I already purchased the 3515.

I can always put a bigger prop on it.

I built two of these in the 1/2a scale back in college when we only had brushed motors. I sold one and the CG was too far forward on the other. It crashed on its maiden but was a fast mover. Hopefully, this one will fare better.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:45 PM
LLRCFlyer

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A good schnuerle ported sport .40 glow engine should turn a 9x6 prop around 15,000 rpm static and produce around .9 HP, or between 650 and 700 watts equivalent. You are looking for an electric equivalent to this. Looking on-line and assuming your motor is 1100Kv and you intend to use a 5-S lipo battery, I found some propeller data for the Cobra at https://rcdude.com/cobra-c-3515-12-1...ess-motor.html Open the link and look for the link to the prop data. The chart says an APC 8x6 prop pulls too many amps with a 5-S battery and the APC 7x6 prop does not pull enough. Even number diameter and pitch sizes are not your only option. APC makes lots of fractional size props. I suggest looking at the APC website https://www.apcprop.com/technical-in...formance-data/ and evaluate their data for in-between-size props such as their 7.4 x 7.7 prop. The down side of a small diameter high pitch prop is not giving the grunt you desire for hand launches, although it may give the higher top speed you are looking for at the expense of loosing the also desired vertical performance. So, you have to choose whither to climb fast or go fast.

Last edited by LLRCFlyer; 05-10-2024 at 03:56 PM.